Sunday, October 02, 2011

Transitions and Manifestations


If I have any advice for those who find themselves in the midst of a traumatic and unsolicited transition after all I've gone through the past few years it is this...

Don't fake it. It won't help you make it. What will help? Only doing exactly what you have to in order to get by, while also feeding your soul with everything and all in the world that makes you have any bit of joy. And while you're at it...start very slowly allowing dreams to come back to you and trust them to guide you.

I have been doing so much transitioning the past few months there's been no time or room for me to write or focus on writing. Even now as I type my little Koala who is sick again is hanging her full body weight on my left forearm attempting to make creating this blog uncomfortable enough that I will cave and head into the living room to watch another episode of some Nick or Disney fantasy life for kids. ICarly or Wizards of Waverly or Jesse the nanny in NYC are awaiting me (well in truth I'm reading the latest Stephen King short story collection while Anna's watching TV, but she seems OK with that for some reason.)

So I don't have much time-still unpacking and sorting and purging the old life away making room for the new.

I was inspired to write something today though, to mark the next huge transition I am stepping into tomorrow. So I got on...and I read through my most recent post with an amazing sense of awe. You see...

What I was dreaming about in that post...I manifested. Just at a time when I felt I'd never again believe in any such phenomenon.

Tomorrow I start a new job. I will be running a small arts organization in my hometown. Now that in itself is something to ponder- I grew up in a small town that only had two things they cared about celebrating-the US Constitution once a year- and sports the other 11 months.

This time last year I was cheered and coached to write a small grant request for the local arts district's annual grant giving season. I was awarded one. That alone was prize enough. But at the gathering to give them out I ran into an old family friend from my small town who asked me to serve on their fledgling arts council- around for a few seasons but still quite new. I did. What else did I have to do? (Well a lot of things I didn't want to do but had to do. But this? This was something I could actually enjoy doing.)

So I went. And I did my best though still distracted with the impending divorce and move looming over me.

Then a few people on the arts council were discussing their needs at the center. I tossed my name in as a potential candidate for a part time job there. Over the summer their board decided to place an add and a friend tipped me off they were posting a gig.

I applied...interviewed along with 4 other candidates.

And I got it.

And now I look back to that day in the gallery...to how I had decided that I needed to work in an arts org with no idea that job was even possibly opening up.

Wow. Thanks Universe- thanks for pointing me the right direction again.

So wish me luck. Tomorrow I start working in the arts "for a living." Hopefully I can do a great job and justify it turning into full time in a year or so when I will have to be transitioning into that level of employment. If not it will provide me with a ton of experience so I can look for a full time job a bit easier than having no job the past 7 or 8 years. I'm nervous...a bit sad to leave my stay at home mom status behind, but...I couldn't have dreamed a better job into being.

Thanks, as always, for "listening."

No comments: